Cincinnati, OhhhhQuilt Size - 73" x 85"
Block size - 11 1/2" finished
Fabric RequirementsFabric #1 - 2 1/4 yds.
Fabric #2 - 2 1/4 yds.
1st Border - 1/2 yd.
2nd Border - 1 1/2 yds.
Backing - 5 1/8 yds.
Binding - 5/8 yds,
BEST PRESS FABRICS #1 & #2 BEFORE CUTTING! (You can purchase a 16 oz. spray bottle of Best Press at our shop and refill it on the 2nd Friday of each month for $5!)
1/4" seam allowance
Repeat for Fabric #2.
2. Layer a Fabric #1 square, right sides together, on a Fabric #2 square. Press together. Pin around all edges. Flat flower head pins are the best to use as you can lay your ruler on them.
3. Make a mark 2" from a corner along one side.
Repeat on opposite side
4. Sew a seam, starting at the 2" mark and across the square. Repeat on opposite side.
Sew all the way down the two other sides. You now have a square with all four sides sewn. Two of the sides will be sewn completely and two will have a 2" opening at opposite corners.
5. Cut your unit in half diagonally, through the stitched corners.
6. Cut each triangle half as illustrated,
2" in from edges.
7. Each triangle will yield these pieces.
8. Layout pieces as illustrated.
9. Sew pieces into diagonal rows.
10. Sew rows together to form a block. Your block will have uneven edges.
11. Square block to 12", unfinished. You may square it smaller if you choose, but why waste fabric?
12. You can now choose to set your blocks to form a square where the blocks meet, OR
Set them so the opposite fabrics meet.
13. Cut your 1st border 2 1/2" wide. I used the blue fabric.
14. Cut your 2nd border 6 1/2" wide. For this I used the yellow.
Starching your fabrics first is a MUST with this block, as you are working with bias edges. I use Best Press because it gives it a good finish and leaves no residue.
Have fun experimenting with your Two-Color Quilt!